Saturday, March 31, 2007

Stupid TV People

I'm feeling sick--I know, it's completely crappy, particularly because I've got a bunch of vocal stuff going on tomorrow, and I'm tired of getting colds before solos--and so I'm watching the Travel Channel to make me feel better. Why, you may ask, does the Travel Channel make me feel better? Well, I will tell you: it's because they always, as now, have features of Alaska. Right now, it's "1000 Places to See Before You Die," and it's great. It's so funny to me, though, that the very fact that I live so far away is what allows me to see hours of TV about my home. I mean, let's say I lived in Valdosta, GA. How many travel shows go there? But every travel show worth its salt has at least one episode featuring AK. It's also funny that, when I was at home, I used to watch "Rudy" to see ND, and now I'm watching TV to see AK. Can I never be happy where I am?

But the funniest--if in kind of a sad way--part of the whole thing is the pronunciation of different place names. They've been talking about the Kenai Peninsula (because they're in Seward, along China Poot Bay right now) and the narrator keeps calling it "K'naihy" instead of the proper "Keeenai". You and I both know it's because it sounds like he's trying to make it sound really proper and Native, and just fekking it up.

Right, I'm going sleepies now. Stupid head cold.

"It's hard to believe you can find a place so much like Paradise as Alaska."--traveller

"The people here in Alaska are very diverse and free-thinking, and not afraid to say what they think."--owner of Capt. Mike's Charters

No comments: